Thursday, August 24, 2006

Lost in limbo?

Help me out here. No really.
The last time I checked Nashville still doesn't have a new federal courthouse to replace the current aging one. But we do have a name for it.
I remember back in '01 U.S. Sen. Bill Frist boasted at having secured $20.7 million or so of our tax dollars to begin the process of designing and building the new courthouse. I even vaguely recall that some firm had been chosen to design it.
From that point on things are a little fuzzy.
Last month I read in Congress Daily that the U.S. Senate Appropriations Committee decided to name the "still ain't built" federal courthouse in Nashville after Frist as a trade off forged by the committee after Senate Transportation-Treasury Appropriations Subcommittee Chairman Kit Bond (R-Mo) denied Frist's latest request for more tax dollars to actually build it. Glad to see our Republican Senate leaders with such a firm grasp on priorities.
I might have missed other news or developments on this since then (I admit to being out of cell and web range for a couple of weeks), but unless something else happened I suppose this means Nashville's new federal courthouse - though named after Frist - remains in budget limbo.

1 Comments:

Blogger Litz said...

The Frist courthouse? It's bad enough that our art museum is named after him/them.

What's wrong with Estes Kefauver? Jeez, this is as bad as the folks who want to replace FDR on the dime with Reagan.

5:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home